Wednesday, April 22, 2015

My First Cedar Fort Books Are In!!

Hey! Remember back when I did my internship for Cedar Fort? The first two books I worked on are now appearing in shelves! BEHOLD Project 1:


So with this project, ENDURING LIGHT, I teamed up with the head fiction designer, Michelle, to recreate a book cover. The original cover (on the left) was designed to fit a 5X8 trade paperback. However, for the next print, the company decided to up the size to 6X9. Problem is, when covers are made in Photoshop, you can't just drag it bigger without damaging the quality. So, what ended up happening was Michelle and I recreated and improved the cover using visually similar elements. The girl and trees were recovered from the original design. However, Michelle picked out the new cowboy and the fence. I worked on the trees in the midground, and that subtle horse. I don't know if you can see it very clear in this shot, but I also intensified and recreated the foggy colors and textures in the background. Now people really have to endure that light!

Tragically, since this is a recreation, neither Michelle's name or mine ended up on the inside flap under 'cover designer'. The credit still goes to the original artist. *Sigh*

Anyway, Project 2 is POWERFUL PERENNIALS, a gardening book.



This one I didn't touch the cover on, but I edited a lot of the inside content. IE, I redesigned the entire thing. The reason? The original designer created this book to be 10X8 but then the company decided it needed to be 9X9. Which meant everything on the inside had to be redesigned. Since the original designer was AWOL, guess who got to do all that work? The solo design intern (me!).

I don't have samples of the original, which is a shame, because it was gorgeous, but I do have the new design I made.







Tragically, my name didn't make it into the design credit of this one either. I'm not sure why. Regardless, I really hope I have the opportunity to work more with books in the future. I love holding the finished project in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment