Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review: "The Swan Prince" by Danielle E. Shipley


There's something magical about fairytales--besides the usual Enchantments and curses and spells gone horribly wrong, I mean. What I DO mean, is that fairytales have a magic because  no matter how often we hear them, they have a power to captivate us--and, even better, they can be told in so many different ways!

If you're as big of a fairytale nerd as I am, you'll love the latest addition to the fairytale community--Danielle E. Shipley's  "The Swan Prince (Book One of the Winderhark Tales)" at just over 22,000 words!


Here's the Back of the Book Blurb:


Catching her leg in a bear trap proves the least of Sula's worries. Haunted by an enchanted monster from a past she dare not reveal, and hounded by the perilously perceptive young village doctor, Villem Deere, the headstrong girl of the woods gambles with fate by binding hers to that of Sigmund, the captivating orphan boy with mysterious nightly buisiness of his own.


And the Cover:



How can you NOT love it with a cover like this?



And Danielle's face! (along with her author info):




Danielle E. Shipley's first novelettes told the everyday misadventures of wacky kids like herself. ... Or so she thought. Unbeknownst to them all, half of her characters were actually closeted elves, dwarves, fairies, or some combination thereof. When it all came to light, Danielle did the sensible thing: Packed up and moved to Fantasy Land, where daily rent is the low, low price of her heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears, firstborn child, sanity, and words; lots of them. She's also been known to spend short bursts of time in the real-life Chicago area with the parents who home-schooled her and the two little sisters who keep her humble. When she's not  living the highs and lows of writing young adult novels, she's probably blogging about it.


Seem Familiar?


Those of you who are thinking Danielle's name looks, perhaps, a tad familiar, would be RIGHT! If you follow me on Facebook, you'll remember it was her blog I recommended ( http://everonword.wordpress.com/ or check out her website, http://deshipley.weebly.com/) Not to mention, those who have been keeping an eye on my previous posts might remember that Danielle's work will be appearing alongside my own in the One More Day anthology (http://www.jtaylorpublishing.com/). 

Not only do I have the privilege of having my work published alongside hers, but this book I was just talking  about--The Swan Prince, remember?--well... I had a chance to read it PRE RELEASE! *fist pump*


Here's What I Have to Say About It:


"The Swan Prince (Book One of the Winderhark Tales)" by Danielle E. Shipley is a fairytale as endearing as the originals, but with twice as much humor. This quick paced, fast read will both keep you guessing, and smiling.

If you like fairytales, this one won't disappoint you. All the well-loved fairytale themes are present (magic, true love, attractive men...), but mixed with memoriable characters, and unexpected twists. Sula, the main character, has a voice that will truly enchant you (Yeah, I admit it, I read it all in one night, so sue me!). While Villem and Sigmund will sneak their way into your heart (at least if you're a female. If male, please see Sula's description again). It's easy to read, and fast paced, making it suitable for those of all ages (particularly the young, or young at heart).

I'd tell you more about my favorite part, but since that was THE WHOLE THING, you'll just have to get your hands on a copy, and see for yourself why it's so wonderful. :)


Where Can I Get my Hands on a Copy?


I'm SO glad you asked! If you're interested in those marvelous paper back books you can hold in your hands as you curl up by the fire under your favorite blanket, you'll be able to find them at  http://www.amazon.com/ and CreateSpace after it's release date (May 31, 2013). Or, if you want it the moment it becomes available, you'll find it in ebook format by way of http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ or for Kindle by way of Amazon (see link above). 

Best of all, after you've bought and loved this book like your own child, you can review it at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17826115-the-swan-prince


Not Quite Convinced?


Even better! That means I get to talk about this book some more! And by more, I mean on May 28th, when Danielle E. Shipley HERSELF will be making a guest appearance on this blog (http://www.theflightreflex.blogspot.com/)

Excited?

I know I am!



7 comments:

  1. Wow-y wow... the cover looks extra beautiful against your starry background! :D
    I'm so excited! For all the things! Especially next week's post!

    Oh, and d'oh, silly me, what was I thinking? *slaps palm to head* I didn't give you the second half of the back-o'-book blurb -- the series-as-a-whole half! Please excuse my napping brain and here, have the rest:

    An enchantress’s curse turns a spoiled royal into a beast; a princess’s pricked finger places her under a hundred-year spell; bales of straw are spun as golden as the singing harp whisked down a giant beanstalk – all within sight of Wilderhark, the forest that’s seen it all.
    You’ve heard the stories – of young men scaling rope-like braids to assist the tower-bound damsel; of gorgeous gowns appearing just in time for a midnight ball; of frog princes, and swan princes, and princes saved from drowning by maidens of the sea.
    Tales of magic. Tales of adventure. Most of all, tales of true love.
    Once upon a time, you knew them as fairytales.
    Know them now as Wilderhark’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GASP! I'm SO glad you posted this!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you can read it! My eyes keep going cross-eyed at the fancy script; guess my vision's not as cool as yours. X)

      Delete
    3. Lol, if you know how I can change the font of my comments, PLEASE, I can't figure it out! ^^' heh, I'd much prefer it in Times.

      Delete
    4. I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest. Any web experts in the house??

      Delete
  2. Gah, it all sounds so exciting! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete